Monday, July 19, 2010

Christmas Planning: Gifts in a Jar

A few years back I did some Candy Cane Bath Salts and they turned out very cute. Since then though I haven't used many gifts in a jar type of gifts. I think part of the reason is my mind set. I seem to think that I need to "add" something to the gift in a jar ....gift. Like, in and of itself, it's not enough, Even though ingredients and stuff may equal what I would normally pay for that person's gift. This year with being frugal in mind I am going to make some sets of gifts in a jar and that is going to BE the gift. Or so the plan is for now....

I have four items I'm looking at using...

Two are Sugar Scrubs
  • Peppermint Sugar Scrub
  • Kahlua Brown Sugar Scrub

Two are Cocoa Mixes:

  • Amaretto Cocoa
  • French Vanilla Cocoa

I have five people who will get both kinds of the sugar scrubs in a little gift bag! And three people who will get one of the sugar scrubs and one of the hot chocolate mixes. I also have two people who will get two of the hot cocoa mixes. So with these projects I will knock out basically ten gifts plus have a few random ones left over for hostess gifts or unexpected needs!

September is Gifts in a Jar and Baskets Month so I will make sure I have all jars, baskets, labels made and ingredients bought that month. I will be looking for jars between now and then...recycling jars is fine just sterilize them with boiling water and dry before using! The Cocoa Mixes I will actually make in September because they have a long shelf life. The Sugar Scrubs I will make in December to extend their shelf life once they are given as gifts! As long as I have everything bought and gathered it should be a snap to get them ready one December afternoon or evening!

Just a note: I also read that if you use dark colored jars it helps make the scrubs last longer so like brown glass or that colbalt blue would be good to be looking for. You can use clear glass to but they keep better in the dark.

1 comment:

Terri said...

I would love to have those recipes!