Thursday, January 24, 2013

Theme Thursday: Feliz Navidad



I thought I'd start out Theme Thursday with a post about having a bit of an "international" holiday. Well not really international, more specifically a Mexican theme celebration.  Above you see my nativity set from Mexico. It's so sweet I leave it out all year long in a little nook of my hoosier cabinet.

I have some sweet little ornaments that I bought on a couple of my trips to Mexico but they are packed away so I'll have to share those another time. So for today I'm sharing some great recipes with a bit of Mexican flair.

Chicken Enchiladas

1 package cream cheese
1 can chicken
1 small can green chilies
1 small can of rotel

Cook cream cheese, chicken, chilies, and rotel in a skillet until creamy and delicious. Then fill tortillas and top them with red enchilada sauce. Bake in oven for about 14-20 minutes until sauce is bubbly.

Mexican Chicken Soup  (I have to say my Mexican friend actually liked this...and normally turns up his nose at my "American cooking". So this is a keeper and soooo easy.)

In a crock pot pour

1 can of corn
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can of kidney beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes
Add a package of taco seasoning and a package of chili seasoning. Lay chicken breasts on top and cook on low for 8-10 hours.  Shred chicken at end of cooking time. (You can add another can of beans to stretch the recipe and the flavor is still great)

Mexican Wedding Cakes

2 cups butter, softened
1 cup confectioners sugar
4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup finely chopped pecans

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Gradually add flour, mix well. Beat in vanilla. Stir in pecans.  Shape tablespoonfuls into 2 inch crescents. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown. Roll warm cookies in confectioners sugar, cool on wire racks.

Those are three of my faves for a Mexican Christmas party. Add napkins in green, red, and white and some chips and salsa and you are ready for a Feliz Navidad party!  If you want to decorate a small tree use chili pepper lights and tie on ribbons in red, green, and white for a simple festive touch. If you don't have chili pepper lights...white, red or green work equally well!

That's it for this week's Theme Thursday....I'll be back next week with a special winter theme: There's Snowflake Like You!  See you then!

No comments: